Life as a resident can be stressful but also a lot of fun! Away from the hospital, residents often get together to unwind, relax, and share some laughs—at a night of karaoke singing, an intramural basketball or soccer game, or an impromptu "liver rounds." The residency program also sponsors events throughout the year.
- The Intern Welcome Reception—the main event of orientation week.
- Orientation Week Events—when interns and residents get to know one another at multiple social venues.
- The Housestaff Summer Picnic—a time to catch some sun and play a game of softball against the faculty.
- Baseball Games—where you can enjoy a beer and a hot dog...oh, and the Pirates.
- The Halloween Party—a chance to dress up and get down, and maybe see an Elvis impersonator. Prizes given for the best costumes.
- The Holiday Party—over 300 members of the Department of Medicine get together for a night of dinner, drinks, and dancing. To make sure all can attend, moonlighter coverage is arranged for the housestaff.
- Senior Banquet and Intern Awards—a final farewell to the senior class and a tongue-in-cheek look back at the year for interns. (See the 2007 graduating class picture below.)