Transitional: Applying and Interviewing for Tracks
You should apply to a TY track if:
- Plan to match to UPMC for advanced training
- Wish to be in Pittsburgh for your PGY-1 year
- Desire a broad-based PGY-1 experience
We work closely with the Ophthalmology, Radiology, and the PM&R programs regarding every applicant and the interview scores obtained during the UPMC specialty interview will be communicated with the TY Program Director prior to rank list submission.
Candidates interviewing with Ophthalmology, Radiology, and PM&R here at UPMC may also apply to and be eligible for the base TY program (#1652999P0) using your specialty interview score.
How to Match
#1652999P0 – UPMC Medical Education Transitional Year Residency
Match directly into the UPMC Medical Education Transitional Year Program
Use the general UPMC Medical Education TY NRMP number (1652999P0) and follow the instructions regarding applying and interviewing on the TY website.
#1652999P2 – UPMC Transitional Year/Radiology Track:
Candidates may match into the TY Program by matching to the UPMC Advanced Radiology program.
Must apply to the Transitional/Radiology Track through ERAS and use the specific TY/Radiology Track NRMP number (1652999P2) in your supplemental rank order list.
#1652999P3 -UPMC Transitional Year/PM&R Track:
Candidates may match into the TY Program by matching to the UPMC Advanced Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation program
Must apply to the Transitional/PM&R Track through ERAS and use the specific TY/PM&R Track NRMP number (1652999P3) in your supplemental rank order list.
#1652999P4 – UPMC Transitional Year/Ophthamology Track:
Candidates may match into the TY Program by matching to the UPMC Ophthamology Program.
Must apply to the Transitional/Ophthamology Track through ERAS and use the specific TY/Anesthesia Track NRMP number (1652999P4) in your supplemental rank order list.
Materials Required for All Applicants
To process your application, we require the materials listed below. All of these materials must be submitted electronically, via ERAS, before you are invited for an interview.
- Common ERAS application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript.
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 scores (and Step 2 scores when available).
- A letter from the chair or designee of the Department of Medicine (not required for the Transitional Year Residency Program or Preliminary Year Program).
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from full-time faculty members:
- Faculty in Advanced Specialty you are applying to
- Medicine, Peds, Surgery, OB/Gyn, FM – Department Chair/Faculty
- Other meaningful letters attesting to your personal/professional skils
- Dean’s letter of recommendation.